Forum Index

Web Games Web Games     Download Games Download Games     My Page My Page     Treats & Prizes Treats & Prizes     Help Help
  FAQFAQ     SearchSearch   ProfileProfile

WHAT'S FOR DINNER?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 166, 167, 168, 169, 170  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lisa819

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnieLea, that is so precious and meaningful about you and your "little helper". And I know what you mean about as they get older and their desire (or lack there of) to help around the house. I have an 18 year old busy "princess", so I am the one who does just everything.

Rolling Eyes
As for the dinner subject, we had a beautiful memorial service/funeral to attend. So with all of the mingling with people that we haven't seen for awhile or some we met for the first time, I realized that by the end of the day I had fasted- unintentionally. So needless to say, I have some calorie catching up to do!!
ConnieLea

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is amazing how much little ones want to 'help',
with anything and everything...
until they're truly big enough to do so Smile Smile

We had pork chops, corn, pinto beans and toast for supper.
Gloria Billings

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went to the grocery store and noticed in the meat counter that they had some "Hawaiian patties." The butcher said they were ham, pineapple, and brown sugar." So we bought one of those and one beef, Cheddar, and bacon patty and we each had half of each patty. My husband was NOT happy with the Hawaiian patty but I was. It was something different. We also had fried potatoes and green beans. Speaking of Hawaii, I just read about how scientists have been able to prove by DNA the link between the Polynesians in what we call the Far East and the people who are in Hawaii. Just imagine for a moment, the courage it must have taken to set out in a rickety boat out on the ocean, and travel thousands of miles until they reached various islands in the Pacific Ocean. This was in the years from 300-600. Surely many people didn't make it because of storms and starvation and sickness, but some people did. They had to understand a great deal about ocean navigation, without the benefit of any of our modern tools. Wow.
ConnieLea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had lasagna and garlic bread.

Gloria, I bet you would be a fantastic contestant on Jeopardy.
Gloria Billings

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnieLea, you made me laugh, with your comment about Jeopardy. That is a fun show to watch.
We had a pot roast with potatoes and carrots and onions that baked in the oven for almost 4 hours. The meat and vegetables were so tender and nice. It's so simple to make this. I wonder why I don't do it more often. I mix Golden Mushroom soup, Worcestershire sauce, and some beef broth and pour that over the top. Now we'll have some nice leftovers for a couple more meals.
Very Happy
ConnieLea

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We hit Mr. Burrito again Smile Smile
Rice, refried beans, ground beef, cheese, onions, sour cream and chips.

Gloria, that's almost exactly how I make my roast.
I use Onion soup/dip mix instead of the mushroom type.
And I usually do mine in the crockpot for 10/12 hours.
Sometimes I thicken the juice so it's almost a gravy.
When you stick a fork into the meat it just pulls/falls apart into shreds.

Since we were talking about Jeopardy...
I just read that the host, Alex Trebeck,
has stage 4 pancreatic cancer.
Gloria Billings

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a simple pasta and chicken dinner tonight. I just made a white and cheese sauce for it.
Yes, ConnieLea, I did hear about that pancreatic cancer diagnosis for Alex Trebek. That sounds awfully serious.
I just finished reading again the book "Little Heathens," by Mildred Kalish. I highly recommend it. It's a book describing how she and her family grew up during the Great Depression on an Iowa farm. She has quite a good sense of humor and her memory for interesting detail makes it well worth the read. I just sent her an email thanking her for writing it and telling her what I enjoyed about it. I received an email back from her son saying she can no longer read her emails. She is 97 years old now so it is understandable. I often write to people when I am impressed by something they have done, said, or written. Seems as though people complain quite a bit but I think we need to tell people what we like or enjoy about them. I used to send letters to Barack Obama to thank him for all he was doing and what he had to put up with from the Congress. I wonder if anyone on his staff ever gave him any letters from ordinary citizens. Smile
ConnieLea

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had Chicken Alfredo and garlic bread.

I would certainly hope that as president
his letters were passed on to him, Gloria.
If they weren't they should have been Exclamation Exclamation
Gloria Billings

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a coincidence, ConnieLea! We had chicken alfredo this evening. It was pretty tasty.
They say fettuccini alfredo is "heart attack on a platter" because of all the cream and butter that goes into it.

I wasn't sure of the numbers so I looked it up -- President Obama received about 250,000 letters a year, and still does, now that he is out of the office. He made a point of reading 10 letters a day from the citizens, so he could be in touch with what ordinary people were concerned about. It's an interesting article from a daily British newspaper, The Guardian. Here is a link: https://www.theguardian.com/books/ng-interactive/2018/aug/18/barack-obama-reveals-how-letters-from-the-american-people-shaped-his-presidency-interview

I am restraining myself from bold political statements here because this is a place to relax and play games, for Pete's sake.
ConnieLea

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had breakfast for supper.
Scrambled eggs, sausage gravy and biscuits.
A friend of mine had a pig slaughtered and cut up
and he gave me some sausage and pork chops.
It's the first fresh cut that I've had in a long time
and it sure was good Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
Gloria Billings

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made ham and scalloped potatoes for supper. It was good and I'll have leftovers to take to work for lunch a couple days this week.
My grandfather was a butcher who worked at a meat market during the Great Depression of the 1930s. They had lived in Minnesota but he lost his job there. They put all their belongings into a trailer, covered it with canvas, and pulled it south to Iowa. That's why I'm from Iowa. He had a job waiting for him in Mason City. I remember watching him work when I was a little girl. These days most of the butchering goes on behind the scenes. People are a bit uncomfortable with the actual realization that their roast or chop came from an animal with a face and feelings.
ConnieLea

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had sausage and egg sandwiches on toast.

The only time I had a problem with the butchering and eating,
once we had a calf that we had to bottle feed...
it was a little bit troubling to eat a roast from him Sad
not as much trouble with hamburgers and steak covered with gravy.
ConnieLea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had chicken tenders, Honey Mustard dip,
mashed potatoes, brown gravy and a biscuit.
Gloria Billings

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That meal sounds like real comfort food, ConnieLea. Smile We had chicken and noodles, one of those bagged salads from the store, and applesauce for dessert. Simple but satisfying.
ConnieLea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had Crowder peas, mashed potatoes,
fried cabbage, cornbread and onions.
(I didn't eat any cabbage)

Mother finally got to come home (after 95 days)
and this is the first real home cooked meal she's had.
It was really good and I guess even better to her
after all that hospital food.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 166, 167, 168, 169, 170  Next
Page 167 of 170

Jump to: