Forum Index

Web Games Web Games     Download Games Download Games     My Page My Page     Treats & Prizes Treats & Prizes     Help Help
  FAQFAQ     SearchSearch   ProfileProfile

Sorting or Piling

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you a sorter or a piler?
I sort all the interior pieces before working the puzzle.
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
I pile up all the interior pieces and then sift the pile for interesting pieces as I work the puzzle.
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
I'm a hybrid, I pile some and I sort some.
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
None of the above options apply, I have my own special technique.
53%
 53%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 13

taokeema

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Sorting or Piling Reply with quote

What's your strategy for working these puzzles?

After you have the edge done, do you sort all the remaining pieces into similar colors, or do you pile all the unused pieces up and then keep sifting the pile for groups of pieces you are interested in?

Do you use a combination of strategies on a single puzzle, or different strategies for different kinds of puzzles?
macyguibons

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this elsewhere, but I'll repeat it:

First, I take a screen cap of the puzzle and leave it open next to the game window, so I don't have to click back and forth between menu options. May as well take advantage of the widescreen monitor, and it's much like setting a puzzle box down on the table as you complete a real puzzle.

I begin by using the "Show Edges" feature in the menu to frame it. Next I drop all the similar pieces in a pile and move them to the side. This actually creates a number of pairs--pieces automatically connect if they are placed close enough to a match, even if you have a pile of 10 pieces in between them. Imagine how much easier it is if you already have 20 completed pairs when you begin. It essentially creates bigger pieces. I place these in their general location. To complet the puzzle, I target the most unique areas first, then I fill in the rest.
Jindog

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it difficult enough finding room on the 'table' to go about piling pieces. I have always been one who prefers the colors be intermixed than all together. This way I can see subtle differences in tone, etc. But with all puzzles eventually you come down to all sky or the dark shadow area that was the more difficult to begin with being the last pieces to put in.

I remember a puzzle from many years ago called 'Snow White without the Seven Dwarfs'. Need I say more. 1000 pieces. Drove me batty.
taokeema

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, ha, ha. I can't imagine doing a puzzle like that. Was it bought for the family by a wicked aunt?

I used to sort, but I don't anymore, I just push the pieces around the board when I need to make room. I can see subtle difference in color better when everything is all mixed up as you say.

I've observed that if I do a bunch of puzzles at once, I notice color and patterns when I am going about my business. It is funny what playing games does to the brain.
Jindog

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was bought by someone who thinks all puzzle people like the challenge of doing puzzles.......therefore the more challenging the better. WRONG!!!! I think you are like me the puzzle should look good, a nice photo, first and foremost. What is the point of doing a puzzle of 3000 pieces and then look at it and go: "That's soooo ugly." Yeah, finished puzzles sat on the dining table for maybe a week afterward before going back in the box so they had better look good when finished.

There was/is a company that I did puzzles from years ago named Springbrook that had the best pictures when they first started and their pieces tended to be odd shaped not the more traditional two ins two outs, etc. and the quality was first rate. Over the years things changed but many of the best times I had was doing a puzzle by this company.

Thanks for stirring up some memories.

Happy puzzling to you Taokeema!!!

Well I went and did a search and the company still exists though it's called Springbok not Springbrook and judging from their listing of available puzzles things have changed. Though they still have nice looking puzzles, most of what they have doesn't appeal to me like the puzzles of old. I must have been doing their early puzzles when they wanted to stand apart from the competition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Jigsaw Puzzle All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: