Forum Index

Web Games Web Games     Download Games Download Games     My Page My Page     Treats & Prizes Treats & Prizes     Help Help
  FAQFAQ     SearchSearch   ProfileProfile

trouble with 'clicking' tiles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shannoncarissa

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: trouble with 'clicking' tiles Reply with quote

I love this game! The only trouble I am having is when clicking a tile, I have to click 2-3 times to get it to move, thus causing lousy scoring/treats. Even sometimes while playing quickly, the tile doesn't even move when clicking it. Scoring 60,000+ in the 1st wk of playing and now doing well 2 score 15-20,000 sucks. Can any GDG players help or give ideas to solve the prob. Being able to type it would be GREAT!! Question
zenzyme

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments. In regards to the issues you're having:

1. Trouble clicking on tiles- This is because of a convention that is usually used for any kind of button on your PC. Try clicking on a button or link on the web, hold the mouse button down, move the cursor off of the button/link, then release it. Usually, nothing happens. This is because the action isn't triggered until the mouse button is released, not when it is depressed... and if it is released after the cursor has been moved and is no longer over the button, the computer assumes that you changed your mind and did not wish to click the button.

We are currently investigating whether or not this is the best solution for this game, but we like the idea that it allows you to change your mind after you've pressed the mouse button (before you release it). So, just make sure that you still have the cursor over the letter tile when you release the mouse button and that should fix your problem.

2. We investigated allowing the users to be able to type in the letters of Word 1, but this causes problems and, fundamentally, creates a different game experience. Say you type the letter E and there are two Es to chose from... how does the game know which E you intended to use? Just like in the game, sometimes it is necessary to use the second E... how would the game know that? This is especially a problem if both word 1 and word 2 start with the same letter. ere's an example:

Topic: Names
Letters: SUSALE
Answers: SUE, SAL

Say you want word 1 to be "Sal." You start typing and type the S on the keyboard. To make "Sal" for word 1, you must use the second S, not the first. How does the game know that? How does the game know you are intending to type "Sal" instead of "Sue?"

Hope this helps!

Thanks!

Jeremy
Great Day Games
LoverOfJoy

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to make typing possible you could allow the shift button to allow you to choose between multiples of the same letter.

if you type S it just chooses the first S. If you hold the shift button down and press S it highlights the first S ... hit S again (while still holding the shift down) and the next S gets highlighted. When you finally release the shift the highlighted letter gets chosen.

I think that'd be pretty fun (although it'd give good typists a huge advantage).
shannoncarissa

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

zenzyme wrote:
Thanks for your comments. In regards to the issues you're having:

1. Trouble clicking on tiles- This is because of a convention that is usually used for any kind of button on your PC. Try clicking on a button or link on the web, hold the mouse button down, move the cursor off of the button/link, then release it. Usually, nothing happens. This is because the action isn't triggered until the mouse button is released, not when it is depressed... and if it is released after the cursor has been moved and is no longer over the button, the computer assumes that you changed your mind and did not wish to click the button.

We are currently investigating whether or not this is the best solution for this game, but we like the idea that it allows you to change your mind after you've pressed the mouse button (before you release it). So, just make sure that you still have the cursor over the letter tile when you release the mouse button and that should fix your problem.

2. We investigated allowing the users to be able to type in the letters of Word 1, but this causes problems and, fundamentally, creates a different game experience. Say you type the letter E and there are two Es to chose from... how does the game know which E you intended to use? Just like in the game, sometimes it is necessary to use the second E... how would the game know that? This is especially a problem if both word 1 and word 2 start with the same letter. ere's an example:

Topic: Names
Letters: SUSALE
Answers: SUE, SAL

Say you want word 1 to be "Sal." You start typing and type the S on the keyboard. To make "Sal" for word 1, you must use the second S, not the first. How does the game know that? How does the game know you are intending to type "Sal" instead of "Sue?"

Hope this helps!

Thanks!

Jeremy
Great Day Games

Thank you, Jeremy, you've been a GREAT help Very Happy
NanaJan

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: letter selection problems Reply with quote

After numerous games with wildly differing results, I have an idea.
I find that when I hear the click, I assume the letter has been successfully selected, so continue on, only to often find that a key letter from the beginning of the word I am spelling actually wasn't put into the word.
SO....maybe if the game gave us a click only when the letter we clicked on was successfully selected? I think this might help a lot!
Love the games, and the site. Wonderful job, GDG! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Spliterature All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: