Forum Index

Web Games Web Games     Download Games Download Games     My Page My Page     Treats & Prizes Treats & Prizes     Help Help
  FAQFAQ     SearchSearch   ProfileProfile

Personal Mailing Lists

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ricotta

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Personal Mailing Lists Reply with quote

I received an email from a cousin, early this morning, about her husband's birthday and another distant relative of mine. This screams of begging to be recognized. To make matters worse she has created a mailing list of relatives that she sends her one or two sentence greetings to. The list is comprised of her relations from her mother's side of the family and her father's side, I am related to her mother. This results in people that I do not know or even heard of getting my email address and when they hit reply to all I get emails from them. In my reply I said that if she wishes to continue communicating with me to do it on a one to one basis or basically asking her to take me off this list. She replied that she will not take me off the list and is leaving it up to me to decide if I reply or not to future emails/texts.
I have no problem with a business having me on their mailing list but, I draw the line at being on a mailing list when it is a relative/friend. This comes across as being cold and calculating. In Canada a business must ask to place a person on their mailing list.
Gloria Billings

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricotta, I am pretty sure you can block any of these things. With email, just mark it as "Spam" or "junk mail" and your server will take note and generally start directing those to your spam file after a few of those that you mark as Spam. It may take a few times but that is what spam filters are about. You just have to be sure not to open those email messages or the spam filter won't work as described.
Then with text messages, which I gather are on your cell phone, check your cell phone plan provider and see how they direct you to block a caller or texter.
It sounds to me as though your cousin is a determined sort of person and she really wants everyone in the family to be on sort of a "round robin" system of messaging one another. Like it or not, she wants everyone included, even when you specifically request not to be.
I get emails that I don't especially want. I just click "delete" and that is that. Takes only about two seconds. If none of the above suggestions work for you, using the "delete" button may be your best approach.
I hope something works for you, Ricotta. Smile
ConnieLea

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I don't recognize the sender the DELETE button is wonderful.
ricotta

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloria & Connie!
Thank you for your input. When I wrote the post it was a result of frustration that had been building for quite some time. I needed a way to vent and this served me well. I try to remember that she means well. I hate that people I do not know and or care about have my email address. There is also the fact that the instigator of this basically writes things like Merry Christmas Happy New Year and thinks that is okay. This is a cold way of doing things and tells me that she is not that warm of a person. When I send out emails I do it one to one and personalize it and write more than the basic greeting. What she writes I expect from a business who uses the occasion to to remind us that they are around.
ConnieLea

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricotta, I can understand your frustration
when receiving e mails that are like that.
I have been guilty of forwarding to my entire contact list...
usually if I did it was a joke I couldn't pass up sending
or something I felt everyone should be aware of.
I don't forward to everyone anymore for the exact reason you stated...
if you didn't share your e mail address with someone I know
why should I feel free to do so??? RIGHT, I shouldn't.
It took me a little while to actually see it that way,
but I finally did and stopped doing it.
Now if I forward something I only do so to people
that I know already share addresses with each other.
Hope your relative finally makes the connection too.
Gloria Billings

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ricotta, it's nice that you felt you had a place here to express yourself when you were frustrated. Even though the problem had nothing to do with this site, you knew there might be people who would care enough to "listen" and share your experiences. At times, life can be pretty tough and one thing that can help a little is knowing you can express yourself to others.
We never know how many people might read these things but not send any thoughts of their own. Who knows, maybe you've helped a few people by pointing out a frustrating situation that can be avoided easily. Sharing an email address might feel like nothing to some people but others of us see it as something we'd prefer to guard a bit. You made a good point, Ricotta.
I have more than one email address. One is just for business purposes. The next is one I am careful to give only to friends or family I truly want to hear from. Then there is the third one for miscellaneous and I only check it about once a week. This system has worked pretty well for me. It doesn't cost anything to have three email addresses. I just have to keep them straight! Smile
ConnieLea

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have three e mail addresses that I use similarly.
I use three different sites, such as Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail.
I'm sure there are many more available.
Like Gloria said, keeping them straight and remembering to check them
is the most important part of having more than one e mail address.
I have one that I forgot about, when I finally remembered to check it
I had over three hundred in the junk folder & almost as many in the inbox.
It seemed like forever before I cleared all of it out Smile Smile
ricotta

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Gloria and Connie.
ConnieLea

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome, ricotta.
I hope GDG is working better for you than it is for me right now Smile Smile
ricotta

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ConnieLea:
Thankfully GDG is performing the way it should since I switched to Goggle Chrome. I have done 2-3 searches on Google Chrome but, it is used almost exclusively for playing here. My Page is fully accessible as well as being able to post a comment or reply to a comment on any and all games. AdBlock was added which eliminated all advertisements, Thank God. When I type in a game name or click on a game category a selection of quizzes and games comes up which appear to belong to GDG and not advertising. The only thing is that around the time of the NY Primary and I think it was the Indiana Primary they had a quizz on NY Values showing one specific candidate, this comes across as supporting the candidate. The question is how do the advertisers feel about GDG supporting a specific candidate and using this website to push his and their agenda. I know I do not like that politics reared its ugly head here not to mention the candidate they endorse. This has nothing to do with the fact that I am Canadian it is simply not the right place for publicly endorsing a candidate. If they had both parties and all candidates represented, not a problem. The one party and one candidate being endorsed, shown whatever you want to call is is wrong 100%.
ConnieLea

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'd care what was advertising
as long as I could play and access my page.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: