Forum Index

 
  Web Games Web Games     Download Games Download Games     My Page My Page     Treats & Prizes Treats & Prizes     Help Help
  FAQFAQ     SearchSearch   ProfileProfile

Game Resetting to ZERO?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Stunt Armadillos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
krazykop



Joined: 27 Feb 2010
Posts: 344

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Game Resetting to ZERO? Reply with quote

Just curious if the game will reset to the very beginning on Sunday nights, as the other games do?

In my opinion, those with lots of power, bling, etc would have an UNFAIR ADVANTAGE over those who are just beginning to play the game.

Sure, I enjoy my high score, bling, and other power-ups. But I'd like to see everyone start the week out on an even playing field.




Brian, your other thread talked about saving your progress in flash. This got me thinking about the unfairness that could come of this when a new week begins.

It would be a turn off for some people to start playing a game that right off the bat someone is getting well over 300,000 points all because they had bling and power from months ago.

Can you clear this matter up and shed a bit of light on the subject?
Back to top
SookieStackhouse



Joined: 14 Dec 2011
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Game Resetting to ZERO? Reply with quote

krazykop wrote:
Just curious if the game will reset to the very beginning on Sunday nights, as the other games do?

In my opinion, those with lots of power, bling, etc would have an UNFAIR ADVANTAGE over those who are just beginning to play the game.

Sure, I enjoy my high score, bling, and other power-ups. But I'd like to see everyone start the week out on an even playing field.




Brian, your other thread talked about saving your progress in flash. This got me thinking about the unfairness that could come of this when a new week begins.

It would be a turn off for some people to start playing a game that right off the bat someone is getting well over 300,000 points all because they had bling and power from months ago.

Can you clear this matter up and shed a bit of light on the subject?


Hi krazykop
This is the issue that I was telling you about last week.
The progress isn't erased by anything having to do with GDG.
I played Stunt Armadillos for months and Flickadillos the whole time it was available. Never once had my progress erased.
It happened to the same handful of players on a monthly basis.
I brought this up in your thread (at MD) last week because of what recently happened to our progress at that other site. What happened there reminded me of what would happen to those SA players last year.
I know that I've mentioned this enough times to gag on but I'm on a new laptop and I'm also learning my way around Windows 8. Those 2 factors together have made it twice as hard to retrace last year's steps. Just accessing scheduled tasks is a whole other process for me now.
You said that you felt our lost progress was related to that site and I agree. Every one of us playing there lost our progress so yeah, that was absolutely site related.
But when this happened to players last year, it wasn't because of GDG, it had to do with their computer's scheduled tasks settings.
You'll want to make sure that when your pc runs it's monthly tasks, that cookies and or browser history isn't erased.
It IS unfair for anyone to put in a month of playing and building their progress just to lose it like that.
I don't remember it happening to anyone weekly but it might have and they just didn't comment on the problem.
Anyway, Brian certainly knows this stuff a million times better than I do, I'm just relaying what I saw happening to other players and what I can remember that we figured out about it.
Sorry if this is scattered or repetitive but you know I do everything scattered and repetitive. Smile
Back to top
krazykop



Joined: 27 Feb 2010
Posts: 344

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think you read my post correctly.

Every week, the leader boards reset, and everyone has an even playing ground.


NOW...TAKE A LOOK AT YOUR POWER-UPS!!!!
........those SHOULD reset to ZERO at the beginning of a new week.

those are WEEKLY leaderboard scores.

IT IS UNFAIR for you to have an un-fair lead over all other players just because you were able to accumulate power, bling, and all that jazz WEEKS before them.

A new week begins a new week. Thus, your pot-o-gold should begin again.



Why should YOU play ONCE and get 200,000 points right off the bat because you have bling and power built up from a PREVIOUS week, while someone else starts the week with nothing.


I cannot believe anyone can't see the UNFAIR nature behind that.



Or maybe I just believe in fairness for all. "Weekly games" should be weekly games, and not a continuation of the previous week(s) game.
Back to top
ConnieLea



Joined: 10 Dec 2008
Posts: 3534

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what you're saying is,
even though I played all week in order to upgrade my powerups
I should lose them every week at the beginning of the week?
I don't see why I should lose what I have worked hard for
when everyone else could have played all week
and earned their own upgrades during that time.
I don't think the game reset that way when it was on here before.
I could be wrong about that,but I don't think I am.
This probably won't affect me as much as some players,
because I probably won't play the game nearly as much as some will.
I can see the SCORE boards for leaders changing
at the beginning of the week,just like it does for every other game.
But IMHO it wouldn't seem fair to take away the upgrades
that a player has already worked hard to earn.
But,like I said,that's just my opinion.
Back to top
krazykop



Joined: 27 Feb 2010
Posts: 344

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game will be only "FUN" to a small handful of players who have all the bells and whistles at the start of a new week.

People WITHOUT the bells and whistles at the start of the new week will have a MAJOR disadvantage right off the bat just because they haven't played since the game made its grand entrance on GDG.

This game will surely fail to be a "HIT" with the 1000's of players if only a small handful are GUARANTEED to get the high scores.




Lets pretend this game has been on GDG for a year. In that time, Sookie has gotten every single power up there is, and is pulling a top score of 900,000 points by just playing one game. You, me, slackin, and a handful of others are also maxed out on the power-up's. and because of this, we only have to play one game to make the top 10 on the leader board.

Keep in mind the game has been running for a year, and we're all maxed out on power-ups. ...Now, a new person signs up for GDG, and wants to play the game. They can't even make the top 100 within the first hour on Sunday night because all the people who have been playing for a year have taken over the leader board.

Why would they want to play?
Why would anyone want to play a game that is pointless and un-winnable?
Why would you want to be the reason few even care to play the game?


Hoarding the opportunity for advancement from others is not being a fair player...its being selfish.


Listen... The game has been on GDG for only a couple days, and everyone in the top 25 already have tons of power-ups under their belt.

That didn't take long, now did it?

If you can make 200,000 in a couple days, imagine how much you could score in seven days.




Since the game competes against others for placement on the leader board, this could be an issue within a few weeks. And soon after, the game will have less and less people even interested in playing it.

Those who want to play won't because there is no way to win...those who have their stash of goodies at the start are no longer challenged, and are simply board-hogs.




Those who REALLY enjoy the game love the competition to strive to the top. That challenge should be a weekly goal...not a guarantee.


Last edited by krazykop on Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
SookieStackhouse



Joined: 14 Dec 2011
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

krazykop wrote:
I do not think you read my post correctly.

Every week, the leader boards reset, and everyone has an even playing ground.


NOW...TAKE A LOOK AT YOUR POWER-UPS!!!!
........those SHOULD reset to ZERO at the beginning of a new week.

those are WEEKLY leaderboard scores.

IT IS UNFAIR for you to have an un-fair lead over all other players just because you were able to accumulate power, bling, and all that jazz WEEKS before them.

A new week begins a new week. Thus, your pot-o-gold should begin again.



Why should YOU play ONCE and get 200,000 points right off the bat because you have bling and power built up from a PREVIOUS week, while someone else starts the week with nothing.


I cannot believe anyone can't see the UNFAIR nature behind that.



Or maybe I just believe in fairness for all. "Weekly games" should be weekly games, and not a continuation of the previous week(s) game.


Wow krazykop... no, I guess I didn't read your post correctly.
But... I have now.
THERE IS NO UNFAIR ADVANTAGE.
The leaderboard is just a leaderboard and if you're focused only on the leaderboard you're missing out on the greatest part of what's right in front of you.
Do you think that the people who started playing before you have a unfair advantage over you? Nope, they do not.
There were at least 10 players already on the board when I started playing and at least 1 score was over 100k when I hit my first armadillo.
slackin showed up in the evening of the second day... he is in second place now.
There will be an interesting game of leaderboard leapfrog while we all work towards maxing out our progress.
MAXING OUT OUR PROGRESS = NO UNFAIR ADVANTAGE..
There isn't infinite progress... we all eventually max out our boosts and then it's an equal playing field.
When I started playing SA in beta, the regular players had been playing for months.
I was astounded by their numbers and it didn't matter that I thought I would never reach the level they were at.
I had fun finding all of the bling, laughing like a lunatic at the swings and misses, and just being happy everytime my armadillo went a little farther than my previous record.
But then my progress started showing up, I started getting higher scores and then one day I was sitting in the leaderboard with the regulars who had been there months before I even knew about the game.
There is NO unfair advantage and the leaderboard is just a leaderboard.
If the leaderboard were that important I certainly wouldn't be here, I'd be at the game trying to get back to where I was yesterday.
Just play the game and enjoy the awesomeness of it, keep applying your boosts and stop thinking it's unfair that some people started playing before you because we all get to the same maxed out point and it's FUN getting there.
Back to top
krazykop



Joined: 27 Feb 2010
Posts: 344

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with you.


100%


But then I believe in fairness for all.
Back to top
SookieStackhouse



Joined: 14 Dec 2011
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

krazykop wrote:
The game will be only "FUN" to a small handful of players who have all the bells and whistles at the start of a new week.

People WITHOUT the bells and whistles at the start of the new week will have a MAJOR disadvantage right off the bat just because they haven't played since the game made its grand entrance on GDG.

This game will surely fail to be a "HIT" with the 1000's of players if only a small handful are GUARANTEED to get the high scores.




Lets pretend this game has been on GDG for a year. In that time, Sookie has gotten every single power up there is, and is pulling a top score of 900,000 points by just playing one game. You, me, slackin, and a handful of others are also maxed out on the power-up's. and because of this, we only have to play one game to make the top 10 on the leader board.

Keep in mind the game has been running for a year, and we're all maxed out on power-ups. ...Now, a new person signs up for GDG, and wants to play the game. They can't even make the top 100 within the first hour on Sunday night because all the people who have been playing for a year have taken over the leader board.

Why would they want to play?
Why would anyone want to play a game that is pointless and un-winnable?
Why would you want to be the reason few even care to play the game?



Hoarding the opportunity for advancement from others is not being a fair player...its being selfish./b]


Listen... The game has been on GDG for only a couple days, and everyone in the top 25 already have tons of power-ups under their belt.

That didn't take long, now did it?

If you can make 200,000 in a couple days, imagine how much you could score in seven days.




Since the game competes against others for placement on the leader board, this could be an issue within a few weeks. And soon after, the game will have less and less people even interested in playing it.

[b]Those who want to play won't because there is no way to win...those who have their stash of goodies at the start are no longer challenged, and are simply board-hogs.





Those who REALLY enjoy the game love the competition to strive to the top. That challenge should be a weekly goal...not a guarantee.



"Why would they want to play?
Why would anyone want to play a game that is pointless and un-winnable?
Why would you want to be the reason few even care to play the game?"



Ummm... they would want to play for the same reasons that I wanted to play when I first found the game MONTHS after the SA regulars had been playing. BECAUSE IT'S A FUN GAME.

"Hoarding the opportunity for advancement from others is not being a fair player...its being selfish."
Okay, WHAT?

"Those who want to play won't because there is no way to win...those who have their stash of goodies at the start are no longer challenged, and are simply board-hogs."

"board-hogs" krazykop?
Really?


You are looking at this all wrong.
You're making a big deal out of nothing... seriously, NOTHING.
AND you're insulting not just the players who love the game but the people who made this game as well.


krazykop the thing you're forgetting is that with GAMES you always start at the bottom, you always have someone who's played longer than you, and you ALWAYS have to work your way up to th
Back to top
SookieStackhouse



Joined: 14 Dec 2011
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--> your way up to the top.
Is it unfair that I've been playing MD for years and can clear all 3 levels w/ a minute + left on the clock but I can't get into the top 10 on the leaderboard?
No.
It's not unfair because even though I can play well, I'm still not as good as a lot of others who have earned their spots.

Stunt Armadillos is a great game and it has a great community.
There isn't resentment when a player passes another player, it's leaderboard leapfrog and we all have fun playing it.

Something important that you are completely missing is that when you reach your 5th bling upgrades, they are SO EXPENSIVE that anyone who has been behind you is able to catch up while you work towards earning those upgrades.
Yes, they will also have to put in the time and effort to earn those same upgrades but the point is that just because you start off in the lead... there is no holding it.

Okay, I'm done with this because I am through missing out on the fun that everyone is having over at Stunt Armadillos... you can come and play but you don't have to... no one is forcing you to play a game that you feel so strongly about.
Back to top
krazykop



Joined: 27 Feb 2010
Posts: 344

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This game is for everyone, not just those who have played it longer. I'm entitled to my own opinion, regardless of how much you seem to think I am not. I'm not insulting anyone, I'm stating my opinion. And my opinion is that WEEKLY games should be WEEKLY games, and not be a continuation of a previous week/month/year.

Seriously, do you have to jump all over people who share a different view as you do? egads!
Back to top
SookieStackhouse



Joined: 14 Dec 2011
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

krazykop wrote:
This game is for everyone, not just those who have played it longer. I'm entitled to my own opinion, regardless of how much you seem to think I am not. I'm not insulting anyone, I'm stating my opinion. And my opinion is that WEEKLY games should be WEEKLY games, and not be a continuation of a previous week/month/year.

Seriously, do you have to jump all over people who share a different view as you do? egads!


I have been nothing but nice to you for as long as I've been a member here.
Recently you posted a few vSA related links on the MD page and when I re-posted them onto other pages (SlingShock and Galaxy Bounce) I ALWAYS made sure to assign the link credits back to you.
I have gone out of my way to be nice to you and today I see you put my name in one of those comments above.
So you can say :"Seriously, do you have to jump all over people who share a different view as you do? egads!" all you want.
I only jump on people when they force me to.
Keep my name out of your "board hog" "unfair" comments from now on and stop feeling sorry for yourself just because you weren't the first person at the game because you can still make your bling videos without being ahead of everyone else.
btw, I downloaded a screen recorder and I COULD HAVE been recording the stuff so far but I didn't because I knew you wanted to do that.
egads!
Back to top
SookieStackhouse



Joined: 14 Dec 2011
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALSO...
I uploaded a lot of screenshots of the bling to my flickr account on the same day that you put up your first video showing off your bling finds. I didn't post the link because I didn't want to take away from YOUR video.
I have TRIED to be your friend but all I've ever felt from you was slight irritation and a wrinkled up nose.
Keep me and my name out of your negative nonsense.
Back to top
krazykop



Joined: 27 Feb 2010
Posts: 344

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

SookieStackhouse wrote:

I have gone out of my way to be nice to you and today I see you put my name in one of those comments above.
I mentioned you as a sample player making 900,000 points because of all the stored power-ups...I chose you because of your love of the game. I could have used anyone, but at the time, you came to mind first because of how you knew about the bling and power levels, and seemed to enjoy the game much more than others. I'm not sure why that would have offended you.

SookieStackhouse wrote:

Keep my name out of your "board hog" "unfair" comments from now on
Where did I call you a board hog or unfair?

SookieStackhouse wrote:

and stop feeling sorry for yourself just because you weren't the first person at the game because you can still make your bling videos without being ahead of everyone else.
Oh my. Seriously? Is this elementary school?

SookieStackhouse wrote:

btw, I downloaded a screen recorder and I COULD HAVE been recording the stuff so far but I didn't because I knew you wanted to do that.
egads!
Screen recorders are very useful tools, especially for tech support.
Back to top
SookieStackhouse



Joined: 14 Dec 2011
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

krazykop wrote:
SookieStackhouse wrote:

I have gone out of my way to be nice to you and today I see you put my name in one of those comments above.
I mentioned you as a sample player making 900,000 points because of all the stored power-ups...I chose you because of your love of the game. I could have used anyone, but at the time, you came to mind first because of how you knew about the bling and power levels, and seemed to enjoy the game much more than others. I'm not sure why that would have offended you.

SookieStackhouse wrote:

Keep my name out of your "board hog" "unfair" comments from now on
Where did I call you a board hog or unfair?

SookieStackhouse wrote:

and stop feeling sorry for yourself just because you weren't the first person at the game because you can still make your bling videos without being ahead of everyone else.
Oh my. Seriously? Is this elementary school?

SookieStackhouse wrote:

btw, I downloaded a screen recorder and I COULD HAVE been recording the stuff so far but I didn't because I knew you wanted to do that.
egads!
Screen recorders are very useful tools, especially for tech support.


"Seriously? Is this elementary school?"


It is certainly starting to feel like it is.
This is about a GAME and it seems like you are overly concerned with the GAME'S ability to be fair.
So concerned that in your analogies you don't just say "a player" but instead you assign me and other's into your theory by using our names.
Your "I chose you because of your love of the game" sounds like a lot of passive aggressive WHOOOO MEEEEE nonsense and it's wasted on me because I can see through it.
Your tone in this thread has been consistently negative so playing like it has been anything else only brings your elementary school comment right back to where it belongs.
I love the game and I have been nothing but positive about it.
You don't have to love it... I frankly don't care whether you do or don't. You can post all of the negative and passive aggressive comments that you feel get the job done because I really don't care about those either.
The only reason I'm even here now is because I tried to be helpful and post what I remembered about the lost progress issue from last year.
There were only a handful of players involved with that particular issue and we mostly figured it out as a group by posting comments about different things to try.
This morning I see your reply to me and I can still taste all of that negative you poured on it.

No, you didn't call me a "board hog" directly but since I've been in the top 5 for a few days, and since you used my name in your analogy, and since it was obvious that you were calling SOMEBODY a board hog. Maybe I'm just hypersensitive but it certainly seems like you were calling someone a board hog so exactly WHO were you calling a board hog and WHY do you think that's okay?
It seems name calling is EXACTLY what your "elementary school" comment brings to mind.
You and your negative nonsense are messing up my good time so you can sit here and post all you want. call me names if it helps.
I really couldn't care less what you do because right now I am going to PLAY a game that I enjoy and have FUN not doing this with you.
Later
Back to top
krazykop



Joined: 27 Feb 2010
Posts: 344

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure at this point why you have chosen to lash out at me over a simple question I had about the scoring of the game. Our views on the subject are different, obviously, and that is the only basis I can see that would come close to a reasoning on why you chose me to explode on. But, alas, if you seriously think my opinion on the fairness of the scoring in the game is worth your time and effort to scold me for my views, then go ahead. I will uphold my views, but I will not be bullied into changing them.

I wouldn't mind starting over every week. In fact, after playing the game, and restarting from zero 3 times now, I've learned a bit about which armadillo flies the furthest, where to start my mouse at, which items to buy first in the store, etc. The first time I played, I simply bought the cheap stuff first, which simply didn't benefit my travel distance. The second time, I learned from my mistakes, and my score got higher faster. Now that I'm on my 3rd game, I'm doing even better than the first two. Restarting challenged me to out-do myself...and that's a challenge that I completely enjoyed.
Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Stunt Armadillos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group