Forum Index

Web Games Web Games     Download Games Download Games     My Page My Page     Treats & Prizes Treats & Prizes     Help Help
  FAQFAQ     SearchSearch   ProfileProfile

Is Brian on extended leave?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gloria Billings

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often thought that there is no point in getting upset at some time when I didn't get all the points I was supposed to get (this happens in the standard Mahjongg game fairly often). Particularly now that there is no actual benefit to the treats, there is no way that getting 40 or 1000 treats in a game makes a lick of difference to me. I can tell that it does bother some folks and I'm sorry when I see that in the comments. Confused I wish I could help people to let go of that somehow! I do realize that how I think is not the same as anyone else, obviously. The treats could be taken out and I wouldn't know the difference. I guess the score is something I look at, just to see how well I did compared to others who played today. There are people starving, there is all manner of violence and terrorism around the world, we see homelessness in most of our large cities, and so on -- Sad I'm trying to restrain myself here! I like to enjoy computer games for the chance to relax at the end of a tough day at work or even during my lunch time, if needed. I'm so glad that this is available free of charge. I can chat with others who also play the games. I'm wanting to look for the positives here and try, as much as possible, to avoid fussing over the small stuff. Smile
ConnieLea

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloria, you are so right.
I do watch my treat numbers...just to see them go up...
or to see if I get a trophy on a game for treats for the week.
Other than that I almost never used them for the sweepstake prizes.
I've played here for several years and I might have entered 4 sweepstakes.
I didn't win any of those and figured I wouldn't any others either Smile Smile
And it didn't really matter to me if I did or not anyway Smile Smile
I do intend to get upset when the correct score doesn't show up
or if my game cuts off while I'm playing, but I get over it pretty quickly.
And usually nobody knows I got upset except me
(and my cousin, if he's here) Smile Smile
I play here because I like the games that are offered,
I can play for free and because of the cyber-friends that I've made here.
As long as that's the case I'm happy playing here at GDG.
Gloria Billings

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, ConnieLea. Good to see you're back. People who are satisfied with the status quo are probably not going to write about that. We'll mostly hear from the gamers who become quite upset when they don't get the treats they felt they deserved. I'm a mental health therapist in private practice. I tend to try to help people when I see they are upset if it seems like a non-productive anger. But people don't want to hear that their anger over the treats might not be so logical. They tend to want to hang on to that righteous indignation. It's like, "I'm not getting my treats! I want my treats and I want them now! Give me my treats or I'll be really mad!" This is one of those "oh, well" situations. Evil or Very Mad
ConnieLea

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloria, I certainly understand about the 'non-productive'
and the 'not be so logical' anger Smile Smile
I have experienced both of those quite a few times in my life Smile Smile
But when I feel like this... Evil or Very Mad ... I would rather let it go quickly
then when it really is 'something' give it this... Twisted Evil ... Smile Smile
In the long run I usually end up like this... Rolling Eyes ... or this... Crying or Very sad ...

PS:I think I might have made a comment to you in What's for dinner?
diamonddiva

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re Brian Reply with quote

He was worse than useless as a "moderator", I don't miss the man at all.
ConnieLea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do miss his input. He kept some players in line.
Gloria Billings

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too bad there is no one to check with if there is a technical or user problem with playing a game on this site. Unfortunately, there were lots of players who needed some sort of playground supervisor and saw Brian as the one to tattle to. There would be no way to be successful in that role. I could imagine this as a possible reason for there being no one any more in that role. The game administrator could remove the tool used for players to chat with one another. That might solve a number of difficulties. Some people are quite wrapped up in the number of "treats" they get, even though the treats are useless. If people had no way to snip at one another, and if "treats" were discontinued, there might be so much conflict. We could surely be better off with less conflict here.
ConnieLea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But think of all of the players that enjoy 'chatting'
that don't dwell on the drama...I know I would miss it.
elblev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an update.

Jessica Rovello and Kenny Rosenblatt founded casual-game company Arkadium 14 years ago. Now, they’re swapping jobs, with Rovello becoming the CEO and Rosenblatt taking the No. 2 job as president.

The change comes amid a chaotic time for Arkadium, which lost half of its studio in Russia — and a total of a third of its worldwide staff — due to geopolitical disruptions from the civil war in Ukraine. In an exclusive interview with GamesBeat, Rovello said that nothing major would change as she and her husband Rosenblatt have been co-leading Arkadium since 2001. But they both felt it was time for Rovello to take the reins.

“The timing seemed right, and we had the support of our board and we went for it,” Rovello said. “This change had re-energized both of us.”

Rosenblatt brought up the matter of swapping jobs a couple of years ago, but they decided the time wasn’t right. But another mattered triggered the discussion again. New York-based Arkadium had about 100 of its 150 employees in Ukraine. When Russia annexed Crimea last year, about 100 of those employees in the Ukrainian studio in Simferopol became Russian. The company went through drastic changes, switching to Russian banks and dealing with other paperwork.

But the employees were happy with the shift to Russian allegiance. So they stayed put, even as Russia dipped into one of its worst financial crises. Then, on Dec. 19, as the Ukrainian war escalated, President Barack Obama increased the economic pressure with sanctions targeting Russian industries, which also meant that U.S. firms doing business in Crimea would also face penalties.

At that point, Arkadium had to decide what to do. Talking with the studio, the company decided to move the subsidiary out of Crimea, 50 miles away inside Russia’s traditional border, to a place that was not affected by the sanctions. That decision tore the studio apart as many decided to stay in Simferopol with their families while others willingly moved to the new location in Krasnodar. Arkadium’s Russian studio dropped from 100 people to 50.

“We had to immediately shut down that office,” Rovello said. “It was a massive, massive change that happened overnight. It was a difficult and trying time for the business.”

Now that the whole company only has 100 employees, it has decided to pull back from developing major free-to-play mobile games with relatively large production teams. Arkadium hasn’t had a lot of success on that front, and with 50 fewer people, it now has to focus its resources. Rovello has decided to focus on Arkadium’s original business, Arkadium Arena, of supplying a suite of casual games to websites such as USA Today, Microsoft, CNN, Comcast, The Telegraph, and The Washington Post. It has close to 100 publishing partners for its desktop and mobile games. Tens of millions of people a month play those games.

The company is adapting its white-label Arena product to mobile in an innovative way, and it also continues to invest in Windows games for Microsoft. Starting with Windows 8, Arkadium has been making titles such as Minesweeper, Mahjongg, and Solitaire Collection for the Windows Store. The company will continue to do the work with Microsoft because it has been a great partnership, Rovello said.
Twisty Hollow

Above: Twisty Hollow
Image Credit: Arkadium

But Rovello decided that the company could no longer invest in big mobile games like Twisty Hollow, an original puzzle game that took a team of 20 about eight months to develop.

“When you lose a third of your staff overnight, you have to decide how you will focus your attention,” Rovello said. “We made a decision to refocus the business to focus on our core product, our Arkadium Arena game-distribution platform. We thought about other changes we could be making, and it seemed like the right time for the CEO change as well.”

She added, “We had our own struggles in game discoverability and monetizing free-to-play games. That knowledge is going into a reinvention of our product. And sometimes, something horrible can be a ble
elblev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my thoughts on GDG. I stopped playing when they made the switch to more ads. the only reason I play now is my sis asked me to play 1 game with her for more competition. Its the only game I play on this site, probably 5-10 games a week total. Right now I have 130 treats and I'm ranked in the 1700's. That tells me they probably have less than 2,000 active players at this point. They make all their money from Arena (see below post if you don't know what that is) and they really don't give a hoot about this site. All your whining about treats and high scores will continue to fall on deaf ears. Just play the game for the pure enjoyment or find another site. As for Brian, he probably doesn't work for Arkadium anymore. I think he did his job to the best of his ability within the realms that were imposed. I think it sad that half the time was spent as a kindergarten teacher dealing with petty quarrels as he watched his country fall apart. Kudos to Brian and I wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors.
ConnieLea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you had given a link to the location you got your information from.
I do appreciate you posting it but I would also have liked to read it in it's entirety myself.
I care nothing about treats or sweepstakes.
I do love Arkadium games and have found them on sites other than GDG.
I hope someone continues to add new games to this site.
Barring that, I hope they don't do away with this site completely.
That would be awful.
elblev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I shouldn't have assumed people would have used google if they wanted to find out more. Here's the link

http://venturebeat.com/2015/03/17/arkadiums-husband-wife-cofounders-swap-the-ceo-job-exclusive/
Gloria Billings

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Helpful Reply with quote

Thank you for citing the link. It was interesting to read this.
ConnieLea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

elblev wrote:
Guess I shouldn't have assumed people would have used google if they wanted to find out more. Here's the link

http://venturebeat.com/2015/03/17/arkadiums-husband-wife-cofounders-swap-the-ceo-job-exclusive/

Thank you very much.
I appreciate you giving the link for this.
I wouldn't have been able to think of what
to 'google' in order to locate it Smile Smile
Thank you again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Suggestions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: